Wednesday, October 5, 2011

RATHER BE LUCKY THEN GOOD AGAIN

Recently I had to deliver some legal papers to a client from a law firm who was having difficulty getting them to respond to their numerous calls and letters.  These were important papers that needed their signature, and with a court deadline looming, they couldn’t get them to respond.  Getting increasingly desperate, they turned to me for help.  I went out to the client’s residence and door knocked it with no response.  Now what do you do?  Do you wait or do you come back?  I usually choose to move my car from the location and park away from the residence but from a vantage point where I can still see it.  You can usually get away with a stakeout for about ½ to 1 hour by reading a newspaper in the car without the neighbors getting too nosey. After sitting in the hot sun and waiting an hour, I figured I’d give it one more try before I left.  As I parked near the location and was in the process of putting on my sports jacket, who just happens to drive up and park in the driveway?  None other than the law firm’s wayward client! I got the paperwork signed, and one more happy and satisfied client.  Like I always say, better to be lucky than good.